Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Weight Loss is Confusing

I went to Weight Watchers today and I'm down 1.6 pounds. Yay, right? The part that's confusing is that this week should not have been a good one! I didn't even give points a thought last Tuesday when I went to the Big E and ate everything fried, dipped in chocolate, or covered in bacon that I could find. Since I definitely used all my weekly bonus points there, that meant I was all out on the second day of the week. That also meant that I went over by a point or two (or sometimes three) almost every day because I just can't forego my little after dinner treat. Granted, I did earn activity points to cover those overages, but still. And then Sunday I went to a friend's house to watch football and was parked directly in front of pizza, chips, cheese balls, and dip. And anyone who knows me knows that once something is in front of me, 9 times out of 10, it's going straight into my face. So on Sunday I stopped counting points by about 4pm.

Why then did I lose almost 2 pounds this week? And lost no weight two weeks ago when I didn't go a point over my bonus weekly and activity points? I just don't get it. I'm not complaining of course, I just wish there was a rhyme or reason to it so I could know what to expect from week to week. Does this mean that it's ok for me to splurge and go over my points here and there? I'm not so sure I want to get into the habit of that to find out the answer.

I guess all I can do is keep going as I have been. Stay within my points 5 or 6 days of the week, but don't beat myself up if I take a special occasion out with friends (and let's face it, Sunday is a special occasion during football season!) to enjoy the foods and drinks that I love.

The other thing I find confusing (well, maybe more annoying than confusing) is how, despite the fact that I've lost 13.2 pounds, which I feel is significant, I don't look or feel any different. A couple of people have said that they can see I've lost weight, but I don't know. These are all people who know I'm doing WW and trying hard to shed the pounds, so it's possible they're just trying to be encouraging. When I look in the mirror, I don't see anything different. My clothes really aren't fitting differently. Shouldn't there be a slight difference after losing almost 8% of my body weight so far? Maybe one day it'll be a sudden change that I see out of nowhere. Fingers crossed...

Next week is the next date on the goal calendar that I set for myself. 15 pounds by October 10, which will actually be October 11 because WW is closed on Columbus Day next week. That means I need to lose 1.8 pounds. It's definitely doable, but it won't be easy. I'm going to have to really be careful about the choices I make, and I'm going to have to drag myself out of bed to exercise in the mornings. I don't want to miss a goal this early in the process, so I've got to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment